Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs – Goldcrest Academy
What CIM and CAM courses do Goldcrest Academy offer?
- CIM Foundation Certificate in Marketing
- CIM Certificate in Professional Marketing
- CIM Diploma in Professional Marketing
- CIM Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing
- CIM Marketing Leadership Programme
- CAM Diploma in Digital Marketing
- CAM Diploma in Marketing Communications
- CAM Diploma in Digital Media & Branding
We are accredited to run these courses by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and the CAM Foundation as blended (classes and online) and distance (online, virtual) learning.
Goldcrest Academy have been involved with CIM and CAM qualifications for over sixteen years and celebrated our tenth birthday in 2016. Our focus is on helping you develop your career and your company with a portable and flexible qualification portfolio. A qualification sets you apart as you are showing to an employer that you are motivated, committed to progression and you can work independently but also within a team context. In competitive job markets, these are valuable skills. Qualifications are independently assessed (it is why they can be tough) so you know that your hard work has gained recognition from your profession.
The following FAQs are designed to help you but in case there isn’t an answer here, call us on +44 (1)580 236556 or email.
- How do I know what course level I can study?
- What is the entry process?
- Is the CIM online diagnostic test free?
- Why do I need to send in my CV?
- I have a past CIM/CAM qualification, can that count?
- When can I start?
- How long does a unit take?
- How long does a course take?
- What study options do Goldcrest Academy offer?
- Where do CIM or CAM class sessions take place?
- What are the payment options?
- What are the CIM or CAM fees?
- What do Goldcrest Academy tuition fees include – for classes?
- What do Goldcrest Academy tuition fees include – for virtual (online) distance learning?
- How do I apply for a course at Goldcrest Academy?
- How much time should you spend studying each week for a CIM or CAM course?
- Can I swop from distance learning to classes?
- Do a I gain a Certificate for each unit or just the qualification?
- What grades are available per unit?
- What will my CIM or CAM qualification certificate show?
How do I know what level course I can study?
All CIM or CAM courses are based on entry levels. This is a combination of past qualifications and experience. The logic is simple, we want you to do well, so we want to make sure you study the best course for you. At the right level.
- If you are new to marketing, we would ask for details of your last qualification (levels 1-7) to match you with the right course.
- If you have lots of experience but qualifications were taken some time ago, we can review both your qualifications and experience and recommend a suitable CIM or CAM course.
- If you have an existing CIM/CAM qualification, then you should be able to take the next level course. Level 6 and 7 courses do expect work and career experience, so we can guide you on this.
- Not sure? We can also recommend you take a free, online diagnostic, created by the CIM to help with entry level decisions. All you need to do is take a screenshot of your result and email this to us, with your CV. We can then chat with you on the best course options for you.
Any queries, call Kent: +44(0)1580 236556 or Surrey: (0)1483 600 014 or email
Back to question list
What is the entry process?
- We need a copy of your CV, including past qualifications and work experience, email for a quick response. We can then chat with you on your work and career plans. Optional – we may recommend you take the online diagnostic test. It’s useful to do if you haven’t studied for a while. Students tell us it is very helpful as it validates what they do know too. Students who take the online diagnostic tend to go on to perform and attain well too.
- Finalise entry level – via telephone chat or email
- Complete the application form process – online or via email
Is the CIM online diagnostic test free?
No preparation is necessary and you need to send us a screenshot of your results. We then review this with your CV. That way we can take account of your past qualifications and experience. For help with the online diagnostic get in touch at email
Why do I need to send in my CV?
Your CV showcases your talent! So we are keen to get to know you, but more importantly, to make sure that you enter at the right level for the CIM/CAM course.
The CIM qualifications are designed to build on your existing experience and past qualifications. So you can attain, we need to know what courses you have studied in the past so that we can find the right entry level for you. The same approach applies to CAM qualifications too.
I have a past CIM/CAM qualification, can that count?
Yes, let us know on the application form or email when asking about the course to email. Having an existing CIM or CAM qualification may exempt you from a level so it’s best to let us know and we can guide you.
When can I start?
We have start dates in September (apply July/August), January (apply November/December) and April (apply February/March) each year.
For distance learning you can start any time, chat with us about how to plan your course for self-paced, smart and flexible studying.
How long does a unit take?
You can complete a unit in 3-4 months, depending on the exam board you are going for (see below).
How long does the course take?
3-4 months per unit. So a three-unit course would take nine months.
CIM/CAM exam boards are three times each year in December, April and July. These are the only times that exams or assignment work can be submitted. So it’s best to work backwards from the exam board you want to submit form. If you wanted to go for the December exam board, we would recommend you enrol in August and start the course in September.
What study options do Goldcrest Academy offer?
- blended learning (classes or intensive, which are face to face held at weekends and online) – flexible options exist, select the study location closest to you
- virtual learning (online/distance) – with a clear course structure, regular feedback and tutor support
Our fees are inclusive to help you budget, so all courses include a core textbook per unit, the CIM Module Guide for compulsory units, tutor support by email and telephone. The class session(s)include coffee and lunch too.
Where do CIM or CAM class sessions take place?
Venues offer easy access across South East England and from the M25.
The Holiday Inn Wrotham Heath, London Road, Sevenoaks, Kent TN15 7RS
The Ashford International Hotel, Simone Weil Avenue, Ashford, Kent TN24 8UX
The Academy, Holiday Inn Guildford, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XZ
Course dates and venues are provided with course information and we provide them during induction too. All venues are close to motorways and train stations for easy access. Parking is available on-site. Accommodation is available onsite at each hotel.
What are the payment options?
Payment can be made by faster payments/BACs, credit or debit card and by cheque.
If you are self-funding your studies, please let us know. You can pay by instalments over eight months by Direct Debit. Find out more email
What are the CIM or CAM fees?
CIM membership is £55 for the Certificate and Diploma levels for 12 months.
Assessment entry fees are charged per unit and are different by level eg:
- Certificate assessment entry fees are £140 per unit
- Diploma assess entry fees are £180 per unit.
Please contact us about the CIM Postgraduate Diploma fees as a new course is coming soon!
CAM fees are slightly different:
CAM membership is £144 for all levels for 12 months
Assessment entry fees are £85 for assignment units and £65 for exam units. The CAM course summary sets out the fee and assessment types for you on the CAM courses pages. Do remember that the CAM Diploma in Digital Marketing has no exams, whilst the CAM Diploma in Marketing Communications consists of two assignment and three exam units.
No VAT is due on CIM or CAM membership or assessment fees.
What do Goldcrest Academy tuition fees include – for classes?
Goldcrest Academy fees for CIM or CAM courses are designed to be inclusive, making it easy for you to cost and budget. There is a course factsheet you can download that summarise all the information you need to know – go to CIM courses and CAM courses pages and select the course you need.
For classes courses:
CIM Diploma tuition fees
Early bird discounts are available for complete course fees paid in advance, email for further details or have a look at the course page.
This includes three face to face course days, fast-tracking and focussing your studies, a bespoke course folder, your core textbook (worth £50), CIM Module Guide (hard copy, worth £18), coffee and lunch on course days, tutor support by email and telephone, feedback on tasks and submission to the CIM for final grading. Please note that CIM membership and assessment entry fees are not included.
CAM Diploma tuition fees
As above, early bird discounts are available for CAM courses, please email email@example.com for further information.
This includes two (three for MCB (face to face course days, fast-tracking and focussing your studies, an allocated tutor for each unit, a bespoke course folder, your core textbook per unit (worth £50), coffee and lunch on course days, tutor support by email and telephone, feedback on tasks and submission to the CAM for final grading. In addition, you will have access to examiner reports, past papers (exams), assignment questions, links to extensive study online study resources. Please remember that CAM membership and assessment entry fees are not included.
What do Goldcrest Academy tuition fees include – for virtual (online) distance learning?
These are inclusive fees, too, with access to online lessons, available 24×7, at home, work or away. It is designed to be flexible, allowing you to study when and how you want to. You tutor will set up ‘powwows’ ie chats to review progress and these can be booked in advance. You are also provided with a core textbook per unit (worth £50), tutor support by email and telephone, feedback on tasks and submission to CIM for final grading. The only items not included are CIM and CAM fees and face to face classes.
Please remember that you will need access to a computer with broadband to study this course.
How do I apply for a course at Goldcrest Academy?
There are two options:
Once we know your entry level, booking is easy
- Option one: Online booking – simply complete the application form, attach CV and submit with payment to Goldcrest Academy.
- Option two: Download the form, complete it and email in with CV to email
If you have any queries, call us on Kent: +44(0)1580 236 556 or Surrey: +44(0)1483 600 014 or email
How much time should you spend studying each week for a CIM or CAM course?
Each unit and course has a recommended number of Guided Learning hours (GL). We recommend that you study (each week) a minimum of 8 hours at Foundation level and 10 hours at Certificate level and above. We believe in smart studying, so we aim to focus your time to maximise your efforts. In practice this means that you parcel up studying across the week, often completing some as part of your work day tasks/activities. Inevitably, there will be some study at weekends, but we guide you to plan your time and effort well. We have strong completion and pass rates for all course levels.
Can I swop from distance learning to classes?
Yes. There is small top-up fee to pay to change to face to face sessions but we aim to keep the costs down for you. We keep a close eye on distance learners and have a clear course structure to help you make the most of your study time.
Do I gain a Certificate for each unit or just the qualification?
Each unit is eligible for an Award from CAM or CIM. When you have completed all the necessary units, you will then be awarded the full qualification and you gain a very smart, official Certificate.
What grades are available per unit?
Pass (50-59%), Merit (60-69%) and Distinction (70% and above)
What will my CIM or CAM qualification certificate show?
It will confirm you have attained the professional qualification, including the name, year, date and awarding body. It will mention your elective choice too, so for the CIM Certificate that could be Digital Marketing or Customer Experience or for the CIM Diploma would be Digital Strategy or Driving Innovation. It will also show the final course grade, based on the results of your three units, taken and passed to complete the qualification. So it may show Pass, Merit or Distinction on the final Certificate.
If you have a question that is not included here, please do get in touch and call Kent: +44(0)1580 236 556 or Surrey: (0)1483 600 014 email.